THIS HANDOUT -
Novell GroupWise 8 is a cross-platform, corporate e-mail system that provides secure
messaging, calendaring, scheduling, and instant messaging. GroupWise also includes task
management, contact management, document management, and other productivity tools.
Companion products provide synchronization with mobile devices.
What's New in the GroupWise 8 Client: Resources
Windows Client Enhancements:
- Panels • Novell has expanded upon the GroupWise 7 "Home View" with the panel view • Now you can have 3 or more columns of panels, display web pages in the panels, create multiple "panel" views, save 'em and even send them to other users
- ☺ Pop Out Folder List ☺ • When the Folder List is hidden it now "pops-out" for drag-n-drop operations • Add your "most used" folders to the Nav Bar
- Hidden "Main Menu" • When the Main Menu is hidden those items are now accessible in the Nav Bar options
- New Folder Types
- RSS feeds • Really Simple Syndication - a family of Web feed formats used to publish frequently updated works content
- Tasklist • Replaces GW7 checklist - prioritize, create sub-tasks, track progress
- Simple Folder List • Now includes a Favorites list • Is context-sensitive for contacts, calendar, RSS feeds and some other folders
- Display Settings • You can share your display settings with other GW users • View > Display Settings > Save or Send View
- Discussion Thread • Is a new tab available in opened items, easy to discover and follow threaded items
- Time Zone Synchronization with your workstation • Switching Time Zone on workstation automatically switches timezone in GroupWise without restarting
- ☺ Reply or Forward with selected text ☺ • Now reply or Forward with only what's important
- Auto Save • Automatically saves your compilation every 30 seconds
- Third Party Composers • Use Third Party tools to compose or view messages. OpenOffice or MS Word can be used compose messages, several other viewers to view messages in their native viewers.
- Add a note or attachment to received items • You can now add a personal note or attachment to an item you receive
- Add a contact or catagory to received items • You can add additional contacts to a received item from a contact
- Message Preview • From item list you can select to display first few lines of a message.
- Publishing Internet Calendars* • Publish any Personal Calendar
* Not implemented at CC, but can be if sufficient demand exists - Example of: GroupWise Calendar Publishing Host
- Subscribing to Internet Calendars • Subscribe to any calendar published on the Internet - Example Site: iCalShare
- Alternate Time Zone • An alternate time zone can be displayed along with default time zone in calendar view
- Import ICS File • Name the folder and add a description.
- Leave Accepted Calendar Items in Mailbox • Accepted appointments no longer vanish from your mailbox • Tools > Options > Calendar
- Aggregated Shared Calendars • Now you can select to display shared calendars in your main calendar view
- Address Book
- Importing & Exporting of Contacts • Exports can be done from contacts folder • Import/export in CSV format.
- Contact's Birthday – Anniversary • New fields, shows on your Calendar as a posted All Day Event
- Address card view • Business card view with pictures
- Rules • Vacation rule Wizard • Tools > Vacation Rule...
- (Quick) Find • Filter replaced with Find on tool bar, pull-down menu with mulitple search options
- New branded login window
- Check boxes are gone • from item listing windows
- ☺ Item Lists now Scroll ☺ • No longer displayed 15 or 20 items "per page"
- New Folder Types
- RSS Feeds
- Tasklist folder
- Time zone Synchronization with your workstation
- ☺ Auto Save ☺ • Prompted for Recovery after a failure
- HTML Options • View or compose in Plain text or HTML
- Spell Check • New speller - auto check before sending
- Name Completion • Uses Contacts and Address book, is configurable to search last name first
- ☺ Graphical Calendar Interface ☺ • choose Day, Week, Month, views
- Multiple Personal Calendars • Create one or more personal calendars
- Aggregated Shared Folders • Select from personal calendars and choose colors
- Publishing Internet Calendars • Publish Personal Calendars to the web
- Contacts displays a list of all personal address books
- Quickviewer • Shows pictures too
What GroupWise Knowledge Resources are available for the End-User?
- Your first stop - "Help" from the GroupWise window Main Menu featuring:
- Help Topics
- What's New
- User's Guide
- Training and Tutorials
- Cool Solutions Web Community
- Novell GroupWise Home Page
- Browse limited training clips from the BrainStorm CBT course, help icon
in the GroupWise client window
- The "GroupWise Learning Resources"
web page at "http://wind.caspercollege.edu/~doit/gw_training/" is continually being updated for GW8.
- Do it Yourself Training! with the full GroupWise 8 CBT course from Brainstorm, containing over 10 hours of searchable
video training content. Available for "check-out" from the doIT the Help Desk. See the
Resources" web page for more...
- GroupWise 8 User Guides for Windows, Mac and WebAccess are available at the bottom of the
Resources" web page
- Browse the "GroupWise FAQ's" at
"http://wind.caspercollege.edu/~doit" the doIT Computer Help--FAQ web page.
- Browse (almost) three years of Campus Weekly
many containing valuable GroupWise tips.
- Quick Reference Cards will be given to the Mac users
- Novell GroupWise Buzz
Get GroupWise 8.0.2 Hot Patch 2 Now
Hey Power Users, install GroupWise 8.0.2 HP2 now or contact the help desk and IT will be
glad to install it for you.
Windows XP users click
"Start" > "Run..." and enter or paste the following address into the "Open:" field of the Run
window without the quotes...
Vista or Windows 7 users, enter or paste the above into the "Start > Start Search" field
Mac users, download and install the software from this link